Meatless Monday is a concept that has been gaining popularity over the past decade. The idea is that skipping meat on Mondays will improve our health and the health of the planet.
This Stuffed Summer Squash is hearty, flavorful and satisfying…even without the meat!
Here’s what you need
• 3 yellow summer squash
• sea salt
• black pepper
• 1 Tablespoons olive oil
• 1 leek, diced
• 1 cup mushrooms, diced
• 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
• 1 Tablespoon tomato paste
• ¼ cup dry white wine
• ½ cup quinoa, cooked
• ¼ cup fresh basil, minced
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Halve the squash lengthwise and scrape out the seeds. Lightly rub both sides of each squash half with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt and black pepper. Place, cut side down, on a baking sheet. Roast for 10-15 minutes, until tender. Gently remove the tender center of each squash, leaving the skins intact. Chop the removed squash flesh and set aside. Line the squash halves, hollow side up, back onto the baking sheet.
2. Place a skillet over medium heat. Add the olive oil and diced leek. Cook, stirring often, for 4 minutes. Add the diced mushroom, fresh thyme and tomato paste. Cook for another 4 minutes. Deglaze the skillet with the wine, cooking for an additional 3 minutes.
3. Remove the skillet from the heat. Stir in the cooked quinoa, fresh basil and reserved, chopped squash flesh. Fill the squash skins with the quinoa mixture. Place back in the preheated oven for 15 minutes. Enjoy!
One serving equals: 163 calories, 3g fat, 25g carbohydrate, 15mg sodium, 2g sugar, 3g fiber, and 6g protein